• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Black 2 & White 2 Speculation Contest - Topic 1: Gyms & Elites - Themes & Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Welcome everyone to the first of our speculation competition redux. In the 5th week of our original Black & White speculation contest, we asked you all to guess gym themes. In this contest, we're returning to the topic, and asking you to take your best guess about how these will changes in Black 2 and White 2.

Changes to the gyms and elites have been with us way back since Gold & Silver, where we saw changes made to the Kanto gym leaders, and to the Elite 4. No changes were made to the lineup in Crystal, and Platinum only changed the order of gyms, however Emerald did give us some outright changes to the Ruby/Sapphire lineup.

Maybe we're talking a bit of a leap here, but given that these games are being billed as direct sequels to Black & White, we think it's pretty much a certainty there will be a change of some description. Maybe not a major change, but a change nevertheless.

So, here's what we're looking for you to have a shot at
1. Who the changed gym leaders and elites will be
1a. Bonus points if you can guess the reasons for the gym leader or elite moving on from their position or getting replaced
1b. Extra bonus points if you can guess who the new gym leader or elite will be, assuming it's a character who already exists in the franchise
2. Any changes to the actual order of the gyms

You're free to make your guesses as outlandish as you like. We've made a few assumptions with how we've written this post here, but you don't have to keep to them. If you think that the main region of the games will be totally different to Black & White, and you think we're going to see a whole new set of gym leaders because of that....well, that's a brave suggestion, but there's nothing stopping you from making that guess as far as we're concerned.

At the same time though, keep in mind that it's in your interests to be as precise as possible. Being vague in your answer won't win you any special points. We don't mark you down for what you get wrong, we mark you up for what you get right. Being vague just means you kill your own chances to score points there.

Remember also, while you can discuss things and make as many guesses as you like, only your final guess counts. So if you're the 10th person to suggest the same thing, but the first 9 people changed their minds, and you didn't, then if that ended up being the right answer, you'd win. Also, because it happened so much during the original speculation contests, allow me to clarify one thing. You can not make multiple guesses in one post. If you're starting to say things like this OR this, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. If you're offering multiple possibilities for the same Gym theme in the same post, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. I hope that's clear enough. If you want to make your guess count, you also need to ensure that you don't edit your post. Doing so will make us simply ignore that post when it comes to figuring out the winners at the end, since it becomes too much of a pain when we have situations where a winner depends on the posting time and who settled on the correct answer first.

This thread will be closed...well, when we feel like it really. Originally we were going to make it at the end of the week, but you know what, I think we may just keep this open right up until the we actually find out what will be in the games. So...no pressure to force yourself, but none of us know when that news will be released, so you probably shouldn't wait too long. ;) When the information is leaked or announced, the thread will be closed immediately, and the closest guess before that happened will win.

It's our intention that this contest thread should not just be a place for everyone to post their guesses for the contest, but also a central place for you to discuss and speculate on this particular point. So don't be afraid to actually post your reasoning and logic here. There's no harm trying to convince everyone else that you're right after all, since it'd just mean that people aren't making different guesses to you, and you'd have the original guess on it anyway. ;)

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Re: Black 2 & White 2 Speculation Contest - Week 1: Gyms & Elites - Themes & Changes

I have a feeling that most of the gym leaders and elites will get replaced in one way or another, with the feeling that the original batch is not going to stay, at least in its current form. I think only Alder might still be around, and it's a long shot.

1a. Bonus points if you can guess the reasons for the gym leader or elite moving on from their position or getting replaced
Reboot time: If this is going to be a direct sequel, all bets are off - everything, anything can happen, and having the characters to be "more of the same from the last game" is not going to help reception of the games.

If the entire roster is getting a complete overhaul, the actual order no longer really matters, because we probably won't be able to guess.

Re: Black 2 & White 2 Speculation Contest - Week 1: Gyms & Elites - Themes & Changes

Gym Leaders:
I'm under the assumption that these are sequels so.....
-Siatron will stay the same, but more importantly the other 2 are gonna be missing, presumbly while the Shadow Triad are missing a guy.
-Lenora and Burgh change positions, Burgh wanting to be at home, and Lenora takes to the city for better security for the museums artifacts.
-Elesa Clay, and Skyla will stay in place. Skyla more so as she is needed to take you wherever it is she'll take you.
-Drayden and Iris will switch positions. Iris will replace him in black as he got too old and Drayden will replace Iris in White as she is still too inexperienced.

The elite 4:
-Darach will replace Catilin. She saw the battle subway change to a frontier, and bolted to be a frontier brain. ]
-Cheren will become the Champion.

• Staff

Make a quick update and clarification to the rules, based on some questions I'd already received. ^^;; I haven't posted a central rules thread for this contest as of yet (I'd intended to copy the rules from the original contest, but the thread appears to be missing, and I'm not sure where it went if it vanished into a non-searchable archive forum somehow), but I'll be sure to do so sometime this week, especially if I get more queries about the rules.

So that means I can edit my post to reason WHY they stay then?

1. Changed Gym Leaders

Drayden and Iris double battle
Striaton triple battle in rematches
Cheren is the Champion or Elite Four

That's all I guess so far.

I'm gonna be that guy for this round:

Everyone stays in the same position they were in in BW.

N/A. I guess it was good the way things were in BW.

1b. Extra bonus points if you can guess who the new gym leader or elite will be, assuming it's a character who already exists in the franchise

The same characters as they were in BW.

The same order as it was in BW.

• Staff

So that means I can edit my post to reason WHY they stay then?
Just make a new post, since only your last guess in the thread will count anyway.

Remember guys, don't just post guesses. Discuss!

I'm gonna be that guy for this round:
There's always one smartass. ;p

One thing that I have been thinking of lately about the games - unless it's a third version game rebranded, there's no real chance that the entire leader list is getting recycled. That's what I think so far...

the only prediction I can make is that maybe Drayden becomes an Elite 4 ! ! ! But that would change the dynamic of the game!

For the order change! Let's say it goes Leonora, Brugh, Stration, Elesa, Clay, Sklyla, Ice gym, Dragon gym!

1. I reckon Steven Stone, Wallace and Alder will be champions of the Pokemon Unova League and Iris will swap places with Drayden
1a. Because he will retire
1b. Steven Stone
2. Cilan, Chili and Cress will swap places with Burgh.

Anyone else think Steven will make a return?

Gym Leaders:
-Siatron gym and the Shadow Triad hijinks are in full swing. The gym's gonna have the 2 others missing while the Triad's gonna have one guy out on a job. Right, a GYM job.....
-Lenora moves to Castelia. She feels its safer to have all her artifacts in a city after what happened, and lets face it, soulless corporate skyscrapers are a perfect fit for the drab normal type.
-Meanwhile Burgh feels the city has been boring him lately, and wants to get in touch with his inner self returning to Nacrene City.
-Elesa expands her gym to an entire theme park. That's right, even the wheels gonna be part of her gym.
-Clay is gonna stay. Its gonna be revealed that even after they mined Twist mountain for all its minerals, the quaintness of Drifrveil has made him stay in Unova.
-Skyla is gonna have a role with travelling so she sticks around.
-Brycen is the most unimportant gym leaders in leaders, so screw speculating bout him.
-Iris and Drayden switch roles in both games. One is too old to stay the leader and the other is too young to stay the leader.

Elite 4
Cheren becomes the champion.
Alder steps down to take Marshals place.
Darach replace Catalin as she's hooked on the new frontier.
Shauntal and what's his name stay the same.

Might as well give it a shot. :D

Striaton Gym Leaders are the same. You challenge them in a triple battle with the protagonist's friends on your side. Cheren and Bianca if they use the same protagonists or the new friends if they change them.
Lenora, Burgh, Elesa, Clay, Skyla and Brycen stay where they are.
In Opelucid, you face Drayden and Iris in a double battle. Drayden wants to leave the gym to the next leader and "trains" Iris to be a worthy leader through double battles.

As far as E4 go, I don't think they'll change. Alder is not the champion anymore, I'll go ahead and say that N will replace him. Alder is away (in a new area or something), training with Cheren.

The order of the gyms will not change.

What may change are the teams of the Gym Leaders and Elite 4 if they decide to include pre-Gen V Pokémon in the game this time. I can see Elesa getting a Manectric and Plusle/Minun, Clay get a... Claydol, etc.

You'll be able to battle the other two Striaton Gym Leaders at some point.
Drayden has retired, leaving Iris as the Opelucid Gym Leader in both games. Her team is slightly different depending on the version though.
Alder has retired to travel the world, and Cheren has taken his spot as Champion.
There'll be a double battle with Skyla and her grandfather Mile (not sure if this counts for the contest, but oh well).
There'll be a blackout in Nimbasa City caused by whomever the evil team is in these games, and you won't be able to battle Elesa until power has been restored through some side mission that happens after you beat Clay.

Last edited:

1. Who the changed gym leaders and elites will be?

- Iris will replace Drayden as the legitimate gym leader of Openlucid city.
- Drayden will become a new member of Elite Four replacing Caitlin.

2. Any changes to the actual order of the gyms?

None. Possible change of the first gym due to Shadow Triad vanishing or by the revelation of the Striaton brothers being the Shadow Triad.

2. Any changes to the actual order of the gyms?

None. Possible change of the first gym due to Shadow Triad vanishing or by the revelation of the Striaton brothers being the Shadow Triad.
Is there any reason people are actually speculating on this? We've got the hint of them being the Shadow Triad in the Pokémon Special manga, from the masks they wear, but that's a separate universe. Remember how many of the Kanto gym leaders were part of Team Rocket in Pokémon Special? What happens there I don't personally think is a really good indication of what will happen elsewhere. Not to mention just how badly that would screw up the anime relationships.

Those kanto leaders happened way early on. And one thing:Silver. Just like things smelled fishy in FRLG and were confirmed in HGSS same will happen here.

1. You get to battle Iris in Black 2 not White 2 and Drayden in W2 instead of B2, and Brycen has been moved up to E4, replacing Caitlin.

2. Striaton is going to be the 3rd Gym you battle, all the others will stay the same (apart from moving Nacrene and Castelia down so Striaton can be 3rd)

I'm psychic, so these guesses are going to be right

Huh, what's with everyone wanting Straiton being 3rd?

I think all of the gym leaders will probably stay the same, but there will be someone new as the Striaton City gym leader, probably just a single person. I think Shauntal will be replaced by Brycen.
Shauntal will move someplace new, perhaps the Battle Subway.
As stated above, Brycen will take Shauntal's place in the E4.
Okay, I think the actual gyms will be in the same order, since Unova is a pretty linear region. The leaders will switch around a little, though. Striaton Gym is taken over by someone completely new, and Cilan, Chili, and Cress will move to Driftveil, where you will challenge them in a triple battle or rotation battle, depending on the version. Clay will move to Icirrus City, which is closer to Twist Mountain anyway.

There is my incredibly well-formulated educated guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom