• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

I feel like DLC should started in Gen 6 or at least free updates that add new content rather then waiting until Gen 8.
no DLC will fix the story of gen 6 though. Just as DLC didn't fix the story of gen 8. this is why i prefer third versions (though that might also be because i have the money to buy them)

no DLC will fix the story of gen 6 though. Just as DLC didn't fix the story of gen 8. this is why i prefer third versions (though that might also be because i have the money to buy them)
I don't like third versions because spending full price on a game that's almost exactly the one you already got is really annoying. That's why people didn't like USUM. Sure, it's objectively better than SM, but the gameplay experience is almost exactly the same most of the time.

I don't like third versions because spending full price on a game that's almost exactly the one you already got is really annoying. That's why people didn't like USUM. Sure, it's objectively better than SM, but the gameplay experience is almost exactly the same most of the time.
it's better in some ways, but i want my games to either have a good story or no story at all. USUM has a nonsensical story that completely butchers everything SM did. that's why i like it less than SM.

There are pros and cons to each. With third versions people that didn't bought a game from the first pair can just buy that, with DLC have to pay for the base game and the dlc and that's more than both the original and third version combined.

With DLC people that bought the first pair don't have to buy basically the same game twice, but the DLC doesn't fix anything wrong with the core game. The DLC in Sword and Shield didn't do anything to its mediocre story or horrendous route design, it was left as is and the DLC just tacked on content that had nothing to do with the base game.

But in my opinion, XY definitely needed a third version, DLC alone wasn't gonna make up for its many faults. A third version that fixed a lot of the problems with the base game and then added DLC and/or free updates would have been the best course of action.

it's better in some ways, but i want my games to either have a good story or no story at all. USUM has a nonsensical story that completely butchers everything SM did. that's why i like it less than SM.
Ultra Sun and Moon also didn’t add as much post game features compared to most 3rd versions like how the Battle Tree wasn’t changed outside of switching some of the trainers and making Box Art Legends/Mythicals usage in the regular rank.

Also some characters became less important like how Looker and Anabel are just cameos instead of being major characters in the post game.

Also some characters became less important like how Looker and Anabel are just cameos instead of being major characters in the post game.
I actually like USUM's postgame a lot more. Team Rainbow Rocket is a lot more interesting than heading all over the region again to catch the ultra beasts. It's a shame this was Looker's last showing though; i really like that guy.

I actually like USUM's postgame a lot more. Team Rainbow Rocket is a lot more interesting than heading all over the region again to catch the ultra beasts. It's a shame this was Looker's last showing though; i really like that guy.
Looker's cameo in USUM is why it's possible that he may appear in future games though, rather his story essentially ending in SM/ORAS.

sorry, could you clarify what you mean? cause i'm pretty sure the pokemon company can make him appear whenever they want
Shortly after the events of SM, Looker is implied to have fallen into an Ultra Wormhole. You can see the results of this in ORAS, when he is found on a beach having lost all of him memories. In USUM, he is not investigating Ultra Wormholes, and is stands to reason he would therefore not fall into one.

while i think the SwSh DLC was better in terms of content, i had more fun with SV's DLC, though i honestly think both of their DLCs were better than the base game (i think the DLC is what makes SwSh worth it in the first place, and i do think base SV has the better story, but most other things about it left a bit to be desired)

not sure how controversial this is (i think the consensus is typically that teal mask had the better story while indigo disk had the better gameplay), but i thought the indigo disk was far superior in p much every way to the teal mask

while i think the SwSh DLC was better in terms of content, i had more fun with SV's DLC, though i honestly think both of their DLCs were better than the base game (i think the DLC is what makes SwSh worth it in the first place, and i do think base SV has the better story, but most other things about it left a bit to be desired)

not sure how controversial this is (i think the consensus is typically that teal mask had the better story while indigo disk had the better gameplay), but i thought the indigo disk was far superior in p much every way to the teal mask
I agree that The Indigo Disk is far better than The Teal Mask. But I have mixed opinions on both as a whole.

I like most of what The Teal Mask did, but I hate its story. It's my least favorite story Pokemon has never done, by a wide margin. It just makes me uncomfortable to interact with the awful person that is Carmine and to gaslight Kieran for no reason, who has done nothing wrong. But I also love the aesthetic of The Land of Kitakami. The music is excellent, I loved some of the hard battles, and the sidequest with Perrin was on-point.

The Indigo Disk has a very weak story, but it feels better to play through for me (as in, not uncomfortable). I like the characters in The Indigo Disk far better than The Teal Mask's though. Blueberry Academy is a cool location but I like Kitakami (and Paldea) better. The fight with Terapagos at the end is cool but everything else involving Area Zero is pretty boring. The Elite Four battles are really fun, but I prefer single battles to double battles, so I enjoyed the hard battles in The Teal Mask a bit more. All of the other extra content in the The Indigo Disk is pretty cool but grinding out BP is so tedious (and not fun).

And while I respect a lot of things both DLCs did, I really like the Paldea region, and I wish the DLCs could have focused on enhancing it rather than going somewhere else. It feels like Paldea and its Pokemon lost a lot of time in the spotlight that they deserved.

The Teal Mask/Indigo Disk DLCs feel so far removed from the original pair of games (I personally feel it's only marginally connected to the Scarlet/Violet lore) that I controversially believe that they should have been a standalone, "3rd" game in Gen 9.

Toby Fox's musical contributions to Pokémon are overrated. The only song of his that I gel with thus far is the battle at Area Zero theme. That said, I don't know every song that has contributed thus far. So, there may still be some of his songs that I like.
I agree that Battle! AI Professor is perhaps a bit overrated (though still a cool theme) but the Area Zero compositions are probably my favorite VGM ever. Hands down.

His full list of songs in Pokemon is:

Sword and Shield:
-Battle! Battle Tower

Scarlet and Violet (base game):
-Academy
-Tera Raid Battle
-Academy Ace Tournament
-Area Zero
-Battle! AI Professor

Hidden Treasure of Area Zero:
-Celestical remix

Back