• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN040: VS Thunder! A Legendary Raid Battle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash vs. Bea rematch is going to be a single episode and might be a 1v1 or at best 2v2. Hopefully it's not too rushed.
It's obviously going to be a 2vs2 battle like the first one, and those don't merit two-parters. There should be a reason to expect a two-parter and this isn't it based on many precedents, even from leagues. Should I count the number of gym battles that got two episodes? Off the top of my head, only Juan and Roxie got that honor and those battles involved Ash using 5/6 Pokemon.

Last edited:
I’m placing my money on Raboot evolving against Zapdos.

I hope Dragonite and Gengar can get some action since they’re really strong. Wouldn’t really make sense for Ash to lead with Riolu or Farfetch’d when he’s fighting a legendary flying-type (and they both get time to shine in the Bea rematch so). He’ll probably just use Pikachu or something, though.

Poor Sobble is gonna have a heart attack when he sees Zapdos.

I don’t really care if Goh catches Zapdos or not. If he does? Cool. If he doesn’t? Okay. I kind of like the idea of Goh going for a complete legendary bird trio collection. Golurk doesn’t seem to like fighting unless they have to so I doubt they’ll be fighting here. I think Flygon is a no-brainer for a battle against Zapdos. Darmanitan would be good.

I just hope we get someone worthwhile to help and not some random COTDs. Or at least make them good COTDS...

I thought the last raid had pretty good COTDs, but they wouldn't fit here. Lt. Surge would be nice.

I don't want Zapdos to stay at the lab, let alone in a Poke Ball. It would be nice if there were a way for Go to summon it (a flute?) against threats (probably not Eternatus because that's the wolves' job) without necessarily giving it commands.

Honestly? I'd rather Ash not get any legendary (much less get handed easy achievements) and proves himself through his own merits/skill/experience rather than go down a Tobias path, or even a Goh path for that matter.

Personally, I don't have a problem with main characters getting legendaries (or mythicals), as long as it makes sense and it's earned and done well (i.e. the character barely manages to weaken it after a long and hard battle or they earn the legendary's respect by proving their worth, causing it to join their team). And, when it comes to Ash, he could easily do both. He's creative enough and has strong enough Pokémon that he would be able to defeat a legendary/mythical (in fact, we've seen him do just that a couple of time already), but he also has a strong enough character that would easily earn the respect of legendaries (which has already happened with two Lugia, Azelf, Zekrom and Tapu Koko).

As for how it would affect battles power-wise, I'm pretty sure Melmetal has already proven that power alone doesn't mean much when you lack training, experience, the type advantage and a good strategy, so that won't be much of a problem. They don't have to nerf the legendary or have Ash breeze through all the battles he'll have after catching it in order not to screw the power-levels. Just have him battle against some skilled trainer(s) that are smart and have strong (non-Legendary/Mythical) Pokémon that have the type advantage against that particular legendary and you can still have a compelling battle in which Ash could feasibly lose.

Therein lies the problem. Pokemon, much less legendaries at that, being treated as mere collectibles. It's already a problem with 95%+ of his captures so far.

Remember what happened when the last collector came through, who coincidentally also started out because of Mew?

Regardless of if Goh captures legendaries, I don’t get the argument that Goh is treating any of his Pokémon like “collectibles” and not living, breathing creatures. It would make sense if he just kept them in their Poké Balls and never let them out other than when he needs them, but he doesn’t. He gives them an incredible home at a perfect sanctuary where literally every single one of their needs are met. He feeds and bathes them every single day, practically by himself since Prof. Sakuragi, Renji, and Kikuna don’t seem to be that involved in taking care of them (other than when Ash and Goh are on multiple-day missions like in JN022). Ash is basically the only other person who helps out, and even he ends up forgetting to do it half the time since he’s too focused on training. Goh doesn’t force his Pokémon to do anything they don’t want to, and the one time he did, he immediately learned his lesson with Sobble.

I’m guessing you’re referring to the villain from the second movie, Lawrence III. Yes, Lawrence considered himself a “collector”, but he was just a glorified poacher who wanted to control powerful Pokémon. There’s a stark difference in how they treat their Pokémon. Lawrence didn’t capture or battle them fairly, he used giant machines and basically tortured the Pokémon he caught into submission. He didn’t see them as individuals with lives, he saw them as collectibles. Even though Goh doesn’t battle often, he captured them all correctly with Poké Balls, and the ones he did fight, he fought fairly with other Pokémon, not torture machines. Goh sees and considers all of his Pokémon to be his trusted friends and allies, no doubt because of his lack of friends throughout his early life. Goh wouldn’t do anything to purposefully put his Pokémon in pain, and all of the Pokémon that he battles with consent to it, all of the other Pokémon don’t have to do anything they don’t want to.

I knew Go would catch Zapdos. I knew it :). If Ash can get a mythical Go can catch a Legendary easilt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom