• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your queer Pokémon headcanons?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
Calling all gaymers: share your queer Pokémon headcanons. They can be about the sexuality and/or gender of characters, Pokémon gay icons, etc.!

(Please be kind to each other and follow forums rules por favor, and respect differences in headcanons uwu)

• Staff
Assorted headcanons of mine, part one:

• Pan, genderqueer, poly Wallace/Bi and poly Winona/Demisexual, biromantic, and poly Steven
  • Bisexual Nessa/Transbian Sonia
  • Acearo Lucian
  • Winona is supportive sister to Bugsy, who's nonbinary (any pronouns), and Anabel, who's genderflux (she/they)

I headcannon Iono, Penny, and Lisia all as transfem. Iono is obvious, she's got the trans colour palette in her design. Penny's wears a baggy hoodie which I imagine is for her dysphoria and she founded the campy outcast evil team. All the Team Star admins are also probably LGBTQ+ on that note it's basically the GSA if they broke more rules. Lisia is transfem because I associate her too much with @lisianthus for my headcannons for her to not take cues from there.

Like Fitzy said Dawn and Zoey. Zoey's lesbian and Dawn is bi. I've also toyed with the idea of them being polyamorous and also with Candice. Is cute I like them.

Lesbian Delia Ketchum bisexual Jessie I have been recently infected with hanamusashipping and it is may be irreversible.

Lesbian Raifort. I have no argument for this pure vibes. Also bisexual Sada they dated in college before Sada and Turo were a thing and bonded over history.

Flint and Volkner gay and married. Sonia bi Nessa lesbian also married.

Raihan and Leon both bi and probably dating eventually.

Genderqueer Rika. She doesn't really give a damn what pronouns people use she just is gender is meaningless to Rika.

Shauna and Serena both bi.

There's more probably I'm just spitballing off the top of my head though.

Almost all of the Indigo Plateau crew are in some way queer.
  • Lance is trans and boyfriends with Bruno
  • Agatha is a lesbian and has a lovely old wife at home
  • Lorelei is asexual
  • Koga is bisexual
  • Will is incredibly nonbinary
  • Karen is the crew's token cishet
  • Blue and Red are obviously dating

One month late lol. But I have a few that have some support in reality.
  • Barry is non-binary. The Poketch is described in many media to come in "blue for boys and pink for girls" yet there's no explanation for why he owns an Orange one. The manga only says that "they needed a third one", hmmmm....Their hair is also somewhat androgenous.
  • Tucker transitioned to Fantina. Their faces, style, purple outfits and flamboyant personalities are earily similar. Also, as a youtuber noticed in this video, Hearthome city has a theme of "Finally coming home" regardless of were you come from, so it could be she discovered her identity while travelling there. And before someone says "Fantina is Kalosian because she uses French phrases", that has actually never been confirmed.
  • Shauna definitely had a thing for the player character regardless of their gender.
  • The Galar kings were a gay couple. They are seen holding hands in the game vitral and also are confirmed to have "ruled together" over Galar. As a result I think Sonia or Leon could ship the male PC with Hop lol.

Barry is non-binary. The Poketch is described in many media to come in "blue for boys and pink for girls" yet there's no explanation for why he owns an Orange one. The manga only says that "they needed a third one", hmmmm....Their hair is also somewhat androgenous.
Ah yes, I’ve seen that before!
Tucker transitioned to Fantina. Their faces, style, purple outfits and flamboyant personalities are earily similar. Also, as a youtuber noticed in this video, Hearthome city has a theme of "Finally coming home" regardless of were you come from, so it could be she discovered her identity while travelling there. And before someone says "Fantina is Kalosian because she uses French phrases", that has actually never been confirmed.
It’s jossed. I do like the idea of Tucker becoming Fantina (in fact, I mistook Tucker for her once, it took me some research to realize they were two different people).
Shauna definitely had a thing for the player character regardless of their gender.
That might be true. Read my headcanon below.
The Galar kings were a gay couple. They are seen holding hands in the game vitral and also are confirmed to have "ruled together" over Galar. As a result I think Sonia or Leon could ship the male PC with Hop lol.
What does vitral mean? And yes, I’m pretty sure. Or Gloria with Hop, who could be bi, so there’s a good chance they ship Hop with both, idk.
  • Lesbian Rika
  • Grusha is trans but hasn’t become female yet, he started transitioning (makeup and hair)
  • Iono could be bi
  • Serena, Shauna and Calem are all in a polyship (Serena/Shauna, Serena/Calem, Calem/Shauna).
  • Hau, Lillie and Elio are all in a polyship (Hau/Lillie, Hau/Elio, Elio/Lillie). Lillie and Elio are straight but Hau is bi.
  • Red, Blue/Green, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, all of them are in a polyship (so like Red/Blue, Red/Yellow, Blue/Green, Green/Yellow, Green/Silver, Gold/Silver, Gold/Crystal, Yellow/Crystal), and they are all bi.
That’s probably it.

Oh there are so many good points here in this thread that I wholeheartedly agree with. :bulbaLove:
I'll try not to repeat too many of them myself, but personally...
  • I adore how Barry's orange Poketch has fueled a widespread nonbinary headcanon for him recently. Pink is for girls, blue is for boys, and why, Barry is just orange, of course. Makes enough sense to me.
  • It was mentioned already, but lesbian Zoey/bi Dawn is just something that I've accepted as fact by now. Bi Jessie/James also feels like one of those ones that might as well be legit, lol. Same goes for lesbian Whitney and Erika; it's like, in my mind, I sometimes forget that these ones aren't really canon...
  • My favorite actually might be that Misty is a trans girl while Ash is a trans boy. Sure, I've got tons of valid reasons to support that theory, but most of all, you're really telling me they didn't pick those names themselves?!
  • Ah, and this was already so long ago that it's a bit of an obscurity now... but there was this one interview that came out just before Pokémon Journeys aired, which led a whole bunch of people into thinking that Gou was nonbinary (I believe it described him as "androgynous" or something like that). Turned out pretty quick that it was just a mistranslation really, but four years on I still haven't let go of that belief hahah.
  • Fun trivia fact: Did you know that in Gold & Silver, every Trainer has an internal "gender" value in the data? Subsequently, did you know that Bugsy and Will are categorized ingame as female? It's always given me this thought that both of them are GNC in some way. (Another thing about this worth noting: Eusine is the only Trainer in the game who doesn't have a gender assigned at all, and for that matter, I could totally see Eusine as agender, and maybe even aroace.)
  • And Blue is a gay icon IMO. Sorry, I don't make the rules, it's just true.

OHHHH ok i'm finally returning to the forums and this was a fun thing to see :3 admittedly i don't have a ton of lgbt headcanons for pokemon, though i definitely headcanon gladion as aroace. shoutout to trans lillie though, while it's not something that hit my brain like the corner of a windows screensaver i can definitely see it.

i definitely headcanon gladion as aroace
Finally someone gets it!! Gladion has always been the aroace Pokémon character in my mind.

My headcanons usually involve aroace characters, including but not limited to Thorton, Caitlin, Hugh, Mina, and Rika. (although I usually don't discuss them, since they almost always conflict with other people's ships and it just feels awkward.)

I think Lillie might be bisexual. Even if the dialogue is slightly different when playing as the female character, there is still room for interpretation. Then there was a reference to Revolutionary girl Utena with her and Mallow in the anime. Not to mention the dating minigame in Pokemon Masters.

Speaking of Pokémon Masters, I was a bit surprised that they pushed the ship with Elesa and the female protagonist so hard. I suppose people give chocolate to their friends in Japan on Valentine's Day but the way that it was portrayed didn't seem platonic at all tbh.

I've always thought Zoey from the anime is a lesbian, and I will die on that hill.

Flint and Volker are in love with one another and are gay. There's a quote from the villa about there being no love lost.
I headcanon that Maylene and Candice are at least bi because Maylene going to Snowpoint barefoot for a "gym battle" there's nothing straight about that imo.

I also headcanon that Penny might be trans.

I think Bugsy is non-binary or probably a trans man.

Torchic queer headcanons, part two (aspec addition)

I have been wavering on and off bisexual aromantic/demiromantic/greyromantic Cynthia for some reason, so throwing the idea out into the internet ether.

QPR asexual heteroromantic Joe (Battle Revolution) and heterosexual aromantic Rosie (Battle Revolution). The characters in that game are essentially blank slates, so they can be anything.

Biromantic asexual Sabrina, maaaaaybe demisexual? Somewhere on the spectrum.

Acearo Wicke. She's more interested in helping others with relationships than having one herself.

every main ghost trainer is some form of non-cis because i said so
allister is genderfluid
ryme is a demigirl and also a lesbian, she used to date katy
morty is transmasc and bisexual
fantina is transfem, she's also very into drag culture
acerola is agender
shauntal is nonbinary
agatha is transfem and a lesbian
phoebe is transfem

i can't believe i didn't see this before!!! i don't have a lot off the top of my head, but maybe i'll come back another time. first, as an asexual, every character i touch also becomes asexual under my hands, without exception. but for specific headcanons...
i've seen volo as a they/them nonbinary since i first laid eyes upon them. i also had the sudden epiphany of they/them nonbinary dawn one day, and haven't looked back since. i also see both of them as aroace. in an au of mine, akari and rei are twins, and akari is a trans girl. sycamore and lysandre are both gay. as other people have mentioned, red & blue are definitely gay, as well as gary oak. i also really like aroace ash.

One other headcanon thread I can post on. Though I don't have a whole lot of headcanon regarding this particular subject. I even had to look up some of the terms because it's the first time I'm seeing them (aroace, in particular). Here's what I got :

• Rei (as a protagonist) is nonbinary, though they would have a bit of trouble explaining this to the people in Legend Arceus-era. I came up with this headcanon after having them in the white ponytail hairstyle. Arezu and Akari are the only people who knows this about Rei.
  • I do think Jupiter of Team Galactic might be trans (female to male), and the original name she/he might have had is changed to "Peter". But I'm on and off about it though, and not as serious of a headcanon as the one above.
  • In terms of ships, GlistenShipping feels canon enough to me. Despite being a male/female ship, JovianShipping deserves a mention here due to the previous headcanon.
  • While the Pokémon themselves understand the concept of the LGBT side of humanity, they mainly see the whole thing as "human partnering up with another human for mutual interests and partnership" taken in a different direction. This mostly stems from the fact the move "Attract" doesn't work on same-gendered / genderless Pokémons.
  • Luvdisc appears behind couples when it feels the emotion of love. As such, it doesn't care who or what gender the humans are in the couple it appears to. It feels love being in the air, it shows up to that source of love. Simple as that.
  • Some genderless Pokémons are more drawn towards the aroace people due to the low romantic/sexual attraction these humans feel being somewhat similar to how those particular Pokémon would feel.

Aaand I think that's it. I'm surprised I got that many headcanons considering I'm a straight guy. But hey, that didn't stop me apparently :p

Back
Top Bottom