• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So...think we'll get a fanserver for the 3DS games?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
3DS online shuts down on Monday :(

The gen 4 games are still active for trades though because it can connect to a fanserver by taking advantage of a mobile hotspot or unsecure router and inputting a certain DNS. I heard that some people in the animal crossing community are trying to do something similar.

Think it's possible for XY, ORAS, SM, USUM?

This free and open-source replacement for the Nintendo Network on both 3DS and Wii U has been in development since before Nintendo announced the service was shutting down.

It's not ready for public release yet, but still, once it is: yeah you'll totally be able to keep playing the 3DS Pokémon games online. (Of course you'll need to have your 3DS softmodded to access Pretendo Network but that's to be expected since the 3DS online was more advanced than Nintendo WiFi Connection was)

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing the community it will happen. The 3DS is going to have some sort of DNS server exploit to connect to a third party server to connect online.

It's probably also going to be a way to not only to do online play for Gen 6+7 like battle and trade but also to be able to get old Mystery Gifts that have long since gone just like how the DNS server exploit for the DS games could be used for that, albeit via random. So things like Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion for XY, the Eon Ticket for the event Lati in ORAS, and whatnot, which were all events that have since gone by, if you want to get ahold of old mythicals like that.

Me and most people I talk to are not willing to hack / softmod their console because we don't want to risk screwing anything up, especially now that the 3DS isn't being made or repaired anymore. I hope there's some kind of alternative option...

Me and most people I talk to are not willing to hack / softmod their console because we don't want to risk screwing anything up, especially now that the 3DS isn't being made or repaired anymore. I hope there's some kind of alternative option...
Softmodding your 3DS is literally risk-free fam. You'd have to deliberately fuck up to brick your system.

Also there's no going to be any alternatives because there's no other way for the 3DS to connect to Pretendo without CFW and softmodding. That's just the simple reality, otherwise the games are always going to try and connect to the now defunct Nintendo Network servers.

I feel the same way about the concerns with hacking/modding gaming consoles.

what we can do is we could set up an interlocking 3ds with a connecter so that we can still play online

While what Viola said is true, Pretendo also just launched a method on the Wii U side of things where modding your console is completely unnecessary, and I believe it functions similar to how Poke Classic Network does for the Gens 4 & 5 games, by using a custom DNS port. Hopefully something like that will be developed for the 3DS in the future!

I have seen some pretty niche franchises getting fanmade servers after the official servers shutdown, it's specially incredibly common in MMORPGs. So it's a guarantee that the 3DS pokemon games are getting those as well.

I saw that too. Certainly gave me hope. Pretendo is also still in it's infancy from what I saw, so there's a lot of advances to be made still.
While what Viola said is true, Pretendo also just launched a method on the Wii U side of things where modding your console is completely unnecessary, and I believe it functions similar to how Poke Classic Network does for the Gens 4 & 5 games, by using a custom DNS port. Hopefully something like that will be developed for the 3DS in the future!

Pretendo seems to be providing full online + Miiverse support, so there shouldn’t be need for a Pokemon-specific fan server?

Seconding that soft-modding the console isn’t hard or risky, as long as you use the approved guide and not a YouTube guide ^_^
If you decide to disconnect, the soft-modding is also easily reversed iirc ^ ^

Back
Top Bottom