• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Kanto the worst Pokemon Region to do fanfics?

Is Kanto the worst region for Fanfics

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
I think I understand and agree what some people are saying on other sites when it comes to Kanto and fanfics: Kanto is kind of bland and boring. There is nothing to draw from that would be fun to write/read. Sure, there is the badge quest, but we all know how that goes. Also, none of the legendary Pokémon are involved in the story, unlike the later games. What can be done with Kanto that hasn't been done before, or can be done with other regions instead?

Do you agree with this? Why or Why not?

Edit: Forgot to mention. I am coming up with more ideas for Johto than I am with Kanto. Sure, Johto is just as basic in terms of story as Kanto was.
I feel like Kanto is a bit overused in the fanfic/story writing community, which has led the region to becoming a bit dull, since usually said stories follow the same badge quest plot with not much distinction, but it does have the potential to be used in a cooler and much different light, such as the ideas welkamo mentioned.

Basically what I'm trying to say is Kanto can be interesting, it just needs to be executed from a new angle to make the story feel like something fresh and engaging

You know, I am realizing that this question is one of those questions that is entirely subjective. Like, one person might view Kanto as the best region for fanfics, while others will think that it is the worst.

You know, I am realizing that this question is one of those questions that is entirely subjective. Like, one person might view Kanto as the best region for fanfics, while others will think that it is the worst.
It is very subjective in my opinion. A lot of factors are in play. Just to name a few:
  • The author's favourite pokémon
  • The generation the author grew up with
  • Familiarity
  • Characters - (notably Oak, Ash, Gary, Red and Blue are very well universally known pokémon characters)
Personally I am not a big fan of Kanto - just because to me it feels over done - but that doesn't mean there aren't good Kanto fics out there.

It is very subjective in my opinion. A lot of factors are in play. Just to name a few:
  • The author's favourite pokémon
  • The generation the author grew up with
  • Familiarity
  • Characters - (notably Oak, Ash, Gary, Red and Blue are very well universally known pokémon characters)
Personally I am not a big fan of Kanto - just because to me it feels over done - but that doesn't mean there aren't good Kanto fics out there.
That is true. I agree with you. Those are indeed factors to keep in mind when picking a region to do fanfics for.

I feel like Kanto is a bit overused in the fanfic/story writing community, which has led the region to becoming a bit dull, since usually said stories follow the same badge quest plot with not much distinction, but it does have the potential to be used in a cooler and much different light, such as the ideas welkamo mentioned.

Basically what I'm trying to say is Kanto can be interesting, it just needs to be executed from a new angle to make the story feel like something fresh and engaging

Could be part of the reason. Welkamo presented some good topics that probably aren't nearly as pursued as they should be.

I've notice a lot on this thread talking about Kanto's lack of legendary Pokemon lore compared to the other regions. It could be seen as a problem since it gives Kanto less mythology to fall back on but I think the "blandness" could possibly work with the right tuning. If you think about it; Kanto out of all of the regions in Pokemon is probably most like a real place, just with the Pokemon. I know it is based on the actual Kanto region of Japan but what I'm getting at is how the region from how it's usually presented in Pokemon media is humans going about their lives in a mostly industrial place. There's a possibility of a more down to earth kind of story that could be told that doesn't need extravagant legendary Pokemon to be the keystone behind the plot. The industrialization and presence of Team Rocket could make for a gritty crime based story.

I'm writing something like that right now. Just in a region of my own making. If I wanted to set a similar story in Kanto I think it stands a pretty good chance of working.

Back
Top Bottom