• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nintendo Switch's Successor

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Earlier today, Nintendo put out a tweet announcing that the successor to the Nintendo Switch will be revealed somepoint before the end of the Japanese fiscal year (March 2025):

Use this thread as a discussion point for everything to do with the next Nintendo console; desired features, games, design, rumors, speculation, and predictions!

Since all the leaks and rumors indicate that it will be a proper successor to the Switch (and not like a pivot to something completely different, it's going to be an evolution of the Switch concept), I hope Nintendo just calls it the Switch 2 and not like...something else like the Super Switch or the Switch Advance because that'd just lead to confusion over whether or not it's actually a new console or just an upgraded version of the original Switch.

The Switch 2 is very likely not to be a Wii U situation because Furukawa (Nintendo's current president) is known to be risk-averse and play things safer than his predecessor.

He's not going to have them name it something that would lead to market confusion like the Wii U, so it'll likely either be Switch 2 (which would then allow them to then make a Switch 3, etc. if they want to keep going on the Switch route) or the name used will be a clear and distinct one that doesn't cause confusion with customers.

things i would like in a switch successor:
  • bigger screen (which i'm almost certain it will have, it just makes logical sense that it would)
  • i'm not a stickler for graphics, especially because i'm perfectly capable of playing games on my pc, but at least be ps4/ps4 pro level. yeah, the ps4 was a generation ago even then, but it can be argued ps4 games actually look good? games don't need to be hyperrealistic, they just need to look decent and run at a solid 30 or 60 FPS. is that a lot to ask?
  • fix the joycon drift situation. i think nintendo got a lot of heat from this in particular and i'm fairly sure they even caught a class-action lawsuit over it so hopefully this is something that is addressed in the successor
  • good battery life
  • can nintendo, for freaking once, including a streaming app or something on their console? is it that hard to partner with twitch and stream without buying a capture card? maybe i'm ignorant on this but i never understood the aversion of including methods to stream, here. the biggest props i will give to sony is at least they gave a way to directly stream from the console itself (at least, on the ps4). dunno why nintendo just refuses to do so
  • this isn't really so much a console exclusive thing but nintendo could use the time to revisit their nso offering and actually offer decent games to emulate. i doubt this would happen, but it'd be good marketing to throw in older gba pokemon games and hell even toss in pokemon colosseum/XD if we want to get started on the gamecube era
looking forward to seeing how many of these end up happening or not

Last edited:
One thing I really hope the Switch 2 does is let you use its power to boost the performance of OG Switch games.

And I'm not talking advanced upgrades or whatever but a simple frame rate and resolution boost, y'know?

One thing I really hope the Switch 2 does is let you use its power to boost the performance of OG Switch games.

And I'm not talking advanced upgrades or whatever but a simple frame rate and resolution boost, y'know?
From what I understand, DLSS is capable of doing this. If the spec leaks are to be believed, this should be a given for the new system.

From what I understand, DLSS is capable of doing this. If the spec leaks are to be believed, this should be a given for the new system.
I fully believe the spec leaks since they come from reliable sources who have a track record of being correct with their leaks and info tbh.

Since all the leaks and rumors indicate that it will be a proper successor to the Switch (and not like a pivot to something completely different, it's going to be an evolution of the Switch concept), I hope Nintendo just calls it the Switch 2 and not like...something else like the Super Switch or the Switch Advance because that'd just lead to confusion over whether or not it's actually a new console or just an upgraded version of the original Switch.
In defense of calling it at least those two names. Nintendo has had precedent-calling some of their successor systems (Super Famicom/Super Nintendo (though in that case, it's more called the SNES) and the Game Boy Advance) by those subtitles and hopefully, Nintendo and fans have learned since the Wii U, including the fact that we know whatever hardware upgrade is going to be a successor due to the president's statement and the leaks. Plus Super Switch or Switch Advance just sounds actually pretty cool and I would prefer it over Switch 2 and would be a callback to older Nintendo systems since it is based on older naming conventions compared to how the Wii U was treated. I really hope it is not called the Switch 2, since it just sounds so bland. I understand Playstation has been doing it for five generations now, but considering how simply brilliant the name of the Switch is, Switch 2 would be a lame follow-up name-wise.

~

According to Steve Bowling of Good Vibes Gaming, though I haven't watched the full video yet, a lot of the tech in the system seems very un-Nintendo unlike though the GVG members present acknowledged that they can still be used in weird Nintendo ways; pointing out that the system contains microphones in controllers but may not even exist for voice chat but to use old Gamecube voice minigames from Mario Party. They do also bring up raytracing in the specs but this may be specifically for third-party devs.

My four simple biggest hopes are though; bigger size Joy-cons and with them at an affordable price, making the Daemon X Machine style Joy-Cons (which are half pro controllers basically) more common and usable with the Joy-Con bone, backward compatibility with the Switch, and greater asset of Virtual Console games compared to NSO line-up.

I don't want to start predicting games quite yet though I at least have some ideas about what might come so I'll include them anyway:
Ring Fit Adventure 2 or at least some type of sequel exercise game.
ARMS 2.
While I imagine Splatoon 3 will get support come the release of the Switch Successor, I imagine it will get its first true spinoff game which will expand the content from Side Order or jump into a new genre.
Breath of the Wild-era spinoff maybe but not a true Zelda game in that vein?

It's hard to visualize what will come besides the obvious, so it was just a few guesses.

I don't know what to think! While I love a good upgrade I also enjoy the feel and play of retro style consoles. >.> If this has reverse compatibility that would help, but I want to be able to play games that have some kind of quaint charm to it. Undertale really achieved that for me back in the day, and the ever so lovely stardew valley.

My four simple biggest hopes are though; bigger size Joy-cons and with them at an affordable price, making the Daemon X Machine style Joy-Cons (which are half pro controllers basically) more common and usable with the Joy-Con bone, backward compatibility with the Switch, and greater asset of Virtual Console games compared to NSO line-up.
I'd love to see the first two suggestions. As well as a fix for the drift. I've heard rumors that the rail design will be replaced with some sort of magnetic design, but that would indicate that older joycons would not be compatible (in handheld mode, at least) which I am not too happy about. More first-party options for handheld play would be really nice too, something akin to the HORI Split Pad Pro or something like that like you've mentioned.

Backwards compatibility with the Switch is pretty much a given from what I understand. At least digitally.

Personally I think Virtual Console is dead. However, I do think that the current lineup of NSO games will stick around going forward. Nintendo has confirmed that your Nintendo Account will transfer over to the next system, which seems to indicate that NSO would as well.

I'm actually glad that the leaks indicate that the Joy-Cons won't be compatible with the Switch 2 in handheld mode because, if I can be honest, the Joy-Cons suck ass lol. If the Joy-Con successors can actually be ergonomic in design, that'd be so great.

I'm actually glad that the leaks indicate that the Joy-Cons won't be compatible with the Switch 2 in handheld mode because, if I can be honest, the Joy-Cons suck ass lol. If the Joy-Con successors can actually be ergonomic in design, that'd be so great.
They certainly aren't perfect, but they're accessible, and most people who own a Switch likely have them, if not more than one pair. It'd certainly be a bonus in my opinion if they were backwards compatible.

However, it'd be a very Nintendo thing if they made them inaccessible & forced you to buy a new set all over again.

Back
Top Bottom