• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hydaelyn’s Chosen (A FFXIV thread)

agreed with failsafe. personally, i've 660'd a few classes that i've played, but that's because i go on hunt trains and casually cap on comedy that way. after i've 660'd my healer mains, i've farmed a bit to get as close to max sps as i can get on black mage without doing savage. aside from that, i was bored enough to 660 my tanks as well + get the relic for both gunbreaker and dark knight even though i rarely really play tanks.

if you're not into farming the tome gear though, the alliance gear should be enough to get you started.

typically though, new expac gearing usually go something like this:

• buy crafted gear (or have someone make it for you if you have a REALLY good crafter friend). if you go the buy route, do NOT buy early. wait for prices to drop first, maybe after the first few weeks or so.
  • start slowly accumulating whatever tome currency is going to be introduced for the new expac. no one is going to have tome gear week one, so this is all preparation for either buying chest/pants the week after, or going for accessories or something else as far as tome is concerned.
  • the new expac's extreme weapon is likely going to be best in slot for a bit if you're into doing that asap, which is what a lot of people do. if you're not into that, ignore this, but typically people gear with crafted with one tome piece to have enough ilevel to jump into the extreme for the weapon.
  • replace tome gear with savage gear once those fights are cleared. if you're not a savage player, ignore this step.

and rinse and repeat for each new patch that follows. as a good in-between, if you're not a fan of constantly farming tome gear, augmented crafted gear would more than suffice as it's 10 ilevels higher than regular crafted and it's at the same ilevel as base unaugmented tome gear.

Thank you both! Yeah I don't even do end-game raids so there's not really much point in me having endgame gear other than to get ready for the next expac. I was just doing manderville relics and I got a lot of spare comedy from causality farming sooo why not xD but I decided against getting the augmented gear since I'm a casual MSQ-only player.

On a totally unrelated note, just wanted to vent about a recent interaction I had while trying to level tank (PLD Lv. 35) again...

I'm a DPS main because tanking and healing gives me really bad anxiety, but I decided to give it a shot again. Got the Qarn dungeon and I mentioned I was a new tank at the start of the run. The run was going poorly... I think the healer couldn't keep up because I kept dying to moderately sized pulls. They also seemed like a new healer considering the fact that they didn't know how to Swiftcast-Resurrect. If I die mid-pull, they would not resurrect until after everything is dead. Sometimes I wondered if they even noticed that I died lol.

I should've asked at the first death if I should do smaller pulls. But me and the other DPS were trying to give small pieces of advice throughout all this and they weren't listening. They didn't speak up about anything until the last pull before the final boss when they started blaming me for the bad run. Also passive aggressively said I should turn my tank stance on but it was the whole run... And then they finally told me that I'm pulling too much and going out of range. Fair enough, but I didn't like how accusatory that sounded. Whatever, I calmly said I'll pull less and stay close.

Then the DPS tried giving them advice, but then they disconnected. Not sure if they quit or it was a network DC (if the DDoS is still happening). We eventually got a sub and finished the run.

I know not everyone is like this and I was probably just super unlucky to have had this interaction but moments like these make me more anxious to level up tank and healer. I probably could have done things better on my end but idk, their negative attitude despite the fact that I said I'm new soured my mood.

Oof sorry. Sounds like they really needed to communicate better. Qarn is an annoying dungeon to tank if you're new to the role imo but it seems like you did pretty well still. Thanks for not getting angry and lashing out or something, some people do this and it makes the run frustrating for everyone involved! Hopefully that healer can improve their skills, or just go DPS if it's not something they think they can handle.

I failed to get another house recently. Going to keep trying, this is maybe my third fail. Hopefully by the tenth attempt I'll have something but that's probably wishful thinking lol. </3

I finally... started playing!!
I am on the Aether server, and while it's admittedly proooobably not recommended I ultimately really couldn't choose between Miqo'te and Lalafell when presented with the character creation menu, so, uh, I picked both. ^ ^;
I've been hard-pressed for any free time over the weekend, so I can't exactly claim to have made it... anywhere with either character yet, but I have a Keeper of the Moon Lancer (who will probably be my "main" character) and a Plainsfolk Thaumaturge, named Lor'a... um, whatever his surname is (I think Tribal after Zidane, but all I remember for sure is that it ends with an "L") and Melele Mele respectively. I'm a giant lore stickler, so I was boring and followed their races' naming conventions. Sue me. I love Lalafell naming conventions. I love Lalafell. They're so cute.
Hopefully tonight I will make more progress! I'll tell you guys how it goes... and try not to get sidetracked making characters of the other races as well...

I am really enjoying it so far, though. Super glad I gave it a shot <3

Lancer is a great pick, Dragoon was my original main since ARR, until Red Mage was added of course.

Lancer is a great pick, Dragoon was my original main since ARR, until Red Mage was added of course.
Dragoon is my favorite class in the series!! (i tend to really like dragoon characters lol..) so I kinda felt the urge to pick Lancer first lol.
I would also like to try Red Mage sometime, maybe Bard for shits and giggles (giving my Elezen character dibs on this), I'm also interested in Dark Knight though I'm not 100% sure if that one is available in the free trial or not.
...I'm totally normal about FFIV by the way :)

Woohoo Bard mention! That was my first job in the game and I adore it. It does feel a bit lacking in the lower levels haha but I think that helped me learn the game comfortably since I could pay attention to the battle more than my combat rotation. At higher levels it does get busier though (I spend more time looking at my hotbar than the arena lol) but nothing to worry about for now.

Dark Knight is available to free trial players, but it's only unlockable once you reach the main city in Heavensward (the second expansion, main story quest Lv. 50-60) because the quest giver is there.

if you are interested in tanking and are anxious to run it with people, you can run dungeons with NPCs to get a general feel of how your buttons work, how they interact with each other, etc. as a starting point, i'd recommend the tank portion of "hall of the novice" (you'll be able to get there at lv 15), which is designed to help new players become better accustomed to their role. i think this will give you a very easy rundown on how tanking works, how to pull groups of enemies, things like that.

Dragoon is my favorite class in the series!! (i tend to really like dragoon characters lol..) so I kinda felt the urge to pick Lancer first lol.
I would also like to try Red Mage sometime, maybe Bard for shits and giggles (giving my Elezen character dibs on this), I'm also interested in Dark Knight though I'm not 100% sure if that one is available in the free trial or not.
...I'm totally normal about FFIV by the way :)

Everything up to and including Stormblood is in the free trial! This includes all the classes that those expansions added, Dark Knight, Astrologian, Machinist, Red Mage, and Samurai!

I really want to find a melee DPS class to get attached to. Ninja is out of the question cause of my ping, but I'm thinking of giving Dragoon or Reaper a try again.. can't decide. Usually melee hasn't been for me but it'd be nice to click with one so I can use it when I want to lol

hey warriors of light! the moogle tomestone event is happening!

who's participating, and what duties are you going to run for it? is there anything from the rewards list you're looking forward to in particular?

I can vouch for DRG and RPR being waaaaaaay cool and good to go for, I love them and currently RPR is my melee go-to
RPR is my melee go-to as well. Satisfying gameplay and I can't ever say no to an edgy aesthetic haha

hey warriors of light! the moogle tomestone event is happening!

who's participating, and what duties are you going to run for it? is there anything from the rewards list you're looking forward to in particular?
I'm a completionist. Give me all the mounts, minions, orchestrion rolls, and Triple Triad cards that I don't have.
I'll probably just do the weekly challenges and ocean fishing. I think that's what I did last time.

I'm spamming Praetorium, doing weekly challenges, and grabbing those Carbuncle earrings, as well as a few extra Platinum MGP vouchers. I always like to have lots of MGP in case something awesome releases in the future.

I already have all the mounts they have on offer - was hoping they'd start having some Shadowbringers dragons as I haven't collected those yet and I don't really like doing Extremes over and over again to get them.

______

Also, the Dawntrail job trailer released:

I'm not really super interested in the new jobs, but I do like how Summoner and White Mage are looking. WHM is my main job and it has a GAP CLOSER NOW! Can zoom around like Sage, I've wanted this forever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom